Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wedding Gift Etiquette: another Kim Kardashian controversy


Okay, so we all know that Kim Kardashian is a professional attention seeker who had what appears to be an entirely staged relationship and wedding for a 72 day marriage, all in pursuit of her career.  A marriage that made her an even wealthier publicity hound and money grubber. (I considered avoiding my personal judgement/dislike of this celebrity that I really don't know, but hey, it's my personal blog, so I'll judge!) 

Now arises the issue of what the couple should do with the wedding gifts. Return? Keep? Kim's response is to keep the gifts, but donate twice the monetary value to a charity, the Dream Foundation.  (I really hope the Kardashians do not make money in any way from this charity!!)  This little stunt will get her a tax write-off that returning the gifts would not. 

I say the gifts should be returned. If this were a normal couple who divorced in 72 days, I wouldn't necessarily agree.  I mean really, for the average person there would need to be some pretty extreme circumstances to cause a divorce that soon.  But this is a wealthy celebrity couple who should not have accepted gifts to begin with! I don't think they even had a marital home, so where would they have used these gifts?

I personally was married in 2005 and separated from my now ex-husband only two years later. It took another three years to officially end the "union." I had a big formal wedding (200+ guests) on Long Island for which people gave me generous gifts. I registered for gifts and had a bridal shower as well. (None of this was my doing, I was the anti-bride and traditional wedding stuff was forced upon me.)  

And I STILL feel guilty that I have gifts for what was a very real and unfortunate, but short marriage.  The monetary gifts were used to support my dead-beat-ex who never worked or even looked for work during, and then for years after, our marriage.  So, certainly I was never in a position to return those gifts.  But I would if I could!  I swear!  I also have very nice china and silver (real solid sterling silver flatware) and crystal, most of which I use and enjoy and will keep for as long as I can foresee, but I do feel a twinge of guilt for having these gifts for a marriage that crashed and burned.  Perhaps my guilt is a bigger issue!! But I am concerned that I offended wedding guests who undoubtedly judge me for such a short lived marriage that they spent money celebrating.

As always, I welcome opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment