Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spinach Apple Salad Redux & Curried Couscous

Spinach apple salad and curried couscous
I must say, eating completely vegetarian has not been a challenge at all.  In fact, it has influenced me to seek out new recipes featuring different ingredients, and that's awesome - welcomed new experiences!  I really have not missed eating meat at all and it's been ten days.  

Last night I revisited the spinach apple salad that I raved about last week.  This time I made it with toasted walnuts, a preparation that is considerably lower in calories as I simply used cooking spray and toasted the nuts with the maple sugar sprinkled on top, instead of sauteing them in butter or oil.  Again, the salad was a big hit and thanks to me, there was not a bite left over. 

Paired with the salad I made a curried couscous dish, following this recipe by the Barefoot Contessa.  It was also a great success, although in the future I would use less dressing as I thought it was a little overly moist.  The one substitution I made to the dish was that I added English cucumber and omitted carrot, which I think made a lovely change.  

Couscous is something that I've only made once or twice in the past and if memory serves me well, it was a WeightWatchers recipe that I followed.  Now I can't wait to try some new couscous dishes!  Any recommendations?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment